If you wake up excited for the day ahead, a scratchy sensation in your throat can suddenly ruin your whole mood. The persistent soreness won’t let you enjoy your favorite foods or engage in conversations.
Throat pain can be an unwelcome visitor in the lives of many adolescents, hindering their daily activities and affecting their overall well-being. This condition can disrupt the daily routine leaving frustrated in search of relief. You can overcome the discomfort with effective natural remedies without relying on excessive medication.
What Causes Throat Pain In Adolescents?
Understanding the causes can help us take better care of our throat and prevent discomfort in the future.
- Viral Infections: The infamous cold and flu viruses can cause inflammation and irritation in the throat, leading to that scratch and sore feeling. So, if you suddenly feel like you’ve swallowed a cactus, a viral infection might be to blame.
- Allergies: When you are allergic to something like pollen or dust mites, your immune system starts to react, leading to inflammation and irritation in the throat. If you notice your throat acting up during allergy season or around specific triggers, allergies might be the sneaky reason behind your discomfort.
- Tonsillitis: When the tonsils at the back of your throat become infected and inflamed, leading to a condition known as tonsillitis. When your tonsils are under attack, you might experience throat pain, difficulty swallowing, and sometimes even swollen lymph nodes.
- Dry Air: During winter, people often use heaters. Inhaling the dry air can dry out the throat and leave it feeling parched and irritated.
- Overusing your voice: When your overuse your voice, the vocal cords become strained and irritated, resulting in that hoarse and sore feeling. Talking too much or screaming can also lead to throat pain.
- Smoking or secondhand smoke: Tobacco smoke can lead to irritation, inflammation, and long-term damage to your respiratory system. If you are a smoker, consider quitting and if you are around smokers, try to keep your distance to avoid second-hand smoking effects.
Natural Remedies For Throat Pain
Let’s have a look at some home cures for sore throats.
✅ Honey And Lemon
A classic combination that works wonders for throat pain. Honey’s anti-bacterial properties soothe irritation, while lemon’s vitamin C helps boost the immune system.
- Method: Mix a tablespoon of honey with freshly squeezed lemon juice in warm water. Sip this mixture throughout the day to alleviate throat discomfort.
✅ Saltwater Gargle
A time-tested remedy for sore throats, saltwater gargles help reduce inflammation and kill the bacteria in the throat.
- Method: Dissolve salt in a cup of warm water. Gargle the mixture for 30 seconds. Do it multiple times a day till you feel better.
✅ Gargling With Aloe Vera Juice
You can gargle with pure Aloe Vera juice. Aloe Vera’s moisturizing effects can prevent the throat from drying out, making it a useful remedy for sore throats and dry coughs.
- Method: Mix a teaspoon of unprocessed sea salt with lukewarm water, add ¼ cup aloe vera juice and ¾ cup of water. Gargle with this mixture two times a day.
✅ Ginger Root Tea
Ginger’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help relieve throat pain. Studies show ginger extract can kill some bacteria and viruses that cause respiratory illness.
- Method: Boil the water (1 liter) and add one tablespoon of grated ginger. Cover it with a lid and let it steep for 10 minutes. You can add honey and lemon juice, then stir it to combine. Let it settle for a minute, and drink it in the mild hot stage.
✅ Steam Inhalation
Boil water to the point that you can inhale steam. The time-honored method is a remedy for throat pain and congestion. For added benefits, you can infuse the steam with essential oils like eucalyptus or peppermint, which have additional soothing and decongestion properties.
✅ Warm Herbal Teas
Herbal teas like peppermint and marshmallow root have been used for centuries to soothe throat discomfort. Peppermint has menthol, which can provide a cooling sensation and alleviate pain, while marshmallow root contains mucilage that coats the throat, reducing irritation.
✅ Rest And Hydration
Although not a specific remedy, rest and hydration are essential components of the recovery process from throat pain. Adequate rest allows the body to focus on healing while staying hydrated, helps keep the throat moist, and aids in flushing out toxins.