We know that the new age has brought in lifestyle modifications that are responsible for the influx of many health problems. Pancreatic cancer may not be necessarily associated with lifestyle disorders. Having said that, it is true that eating disorders associated with lifestyles are among the many other factors contributing to it.
What Is Pancreatic Cancer?
The pancreas is one of the most vital organs in the human body located behind the stomach. It plays a key role in the digestion of food and the metabolic process of the body. Pancreatic cancer affects the pancreas and thereby derails the healthy functioning of the human body.
In most cases, this disease gets noticed in advanced stages only and poses a threat to healthy living. Therefore it becomes critical to diagnose this health condition at earlier stages when it becomes easy to treat.
Types Of Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic cancer is classified into two types; Pancreatic adenocarcinoma and Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Both of these conditions are equally problematic and require early diagnosis to effectively treat them.
- Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma – Pancreatic adenocarcinoma is the most common kind of cancer that affects the pancreas. Since it mainly affects the exocrine cells that assist digestion it becomes quite necessary to identify it at the beginning itself.
- Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors – Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors are not very common however they can cause havoc in the metabolic process of the body. Besides, it also has its implications on the mood of a person.
Symptoms Of Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic cancer comes with symptoms that can easily be confused with other health problems. In this section, we will look at the most common symptoms that are associated with the condition.
◼ Weight loss- A healthy weight loss owing to diet control and workout is appreciable. However, weight loss for no apparent reason should ring alarm bells. According to the statistics provided by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), approximately 85% of those diagnosed with pancreatic cancer suffer weight loss.
◼ Lack of appetite- Lack of appetite is another common symptom found in patients identified with pancreatic cancer. In most cases, people do not take this problem seriously. Appetite loss can be severe in the advanced stages of the disease.
◼ Jaundice- Jaundice is another indicator of the growth of cancer in the pancreas. It is a health condition where the bile duct gets blocked and bilirubin builds up in the body.
◼ Nausea and vomiting- Nausea and vomiting can be a sign of pancreatic cancer as the health condition causes slow passage of food through the stomach. This is due to the nerves and the hormones getting affected by the condition.
◼ Gallbladder problems- It is possible to have gallbladder enlargement as a result of developing pancreatic cancer. It occurs due to the bile duct gets blocked by the cancer and as a result, the fluid gets trapped inside the belly causing the problem.
Causes Of Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic cancer can occur due to numerous problems that affect the overall health. Out of these factors, some of them can be averted while others cannot. In this section, we will highlight the major causes of pancreatic cancer.
- Obesity – Obesity and overweight are health conditions that can lead to pancreatic cancer. This has been proved time and again in so many case studies. However, the sad thing to note is most people do not accept it as a problem and take it lightly.
- Smoking – Smoking can lead to several health ailments including pancreatic cancer. It can jeopardize the healthy working of nerves and cells paving the way for this disease.
- Diabetes – Diabetes can be a cause of pancreatic ulcers as it leads to inflammation in the body. The pancreas is vulnerable to inflammation and for this reason, cannot be overlooked.
- Family history – Family history becomes a matter of concern in certain cases as genetic problems lead to certain pancreatic conditions. Regular health checkups can be of aid for persons who have a family history of pancreatic cancer.
- Unhealthy eating- The digestive system, including the pancreas, is most susceptible to this condition as a result of eating disorders’ negative effects on health.
In this article, we had an overview of Pancreatic cancer and the problems it causes. We have gone through the types of cancer, symptoms, and the factors leading to it. Like any other cancer, early detection of the disease can help it from getting worse.
Also, the risk factors leading to pancreatic cancer should be taken seriously so that a happy and healthy living is possible.