Losing weight is challenging for many individuals, and it becomes even more difficult when thyroid disorders and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) come into the picture. These two common health conditions affect millions of people worldwide, and they often lead to weight gain or make it exceptionally difficult to shed those extra pounds.
But fear not; whether you’re newly diagnosed or have been dealing with these challenges for years, this blog is designed to empower you with the knowledge to move forward toward a healthier, more confident, and more fulfilling weight loss journey.
In this blog, we will explore what thyroid and PCOS are, providing you with practical tips to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
What Are Thyroid And PCOS?
Thyroid glands produce thyroid hormones, mainly T3 and T4. So, when the production of the hormone increases more than normal, this is called hyperthyroidism.
According to the WHO, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) affects an estimated 8–13% of reproductive-aged women. There are a few situations that play an important role, like the excess release of hormones, the outcome of coagulation of small sacs of fluid on the outer edge of the ovaries, higher levels of male hormones called androgens, or even genetics. These sacs are called cysts and contain immature eggs, also known as follicles.
Practical Tips To Reduce Weight With Thyroid And PCOS
How will you start your journey knowing that you have either one or both diseases? First of all, it’s okay; it happens to every 3 to 4 women.
Here is the list of changes that will help you in your journey ahead.
1. Diet Plan
A diet plan to lose weight with thyroid and PCOS disease must include:
- High-fiber foods: Some high-fiber foods to include are broccoli, almonds, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower. They keep you full with less munching.
- High-quality protein: They play the most important part in losing weight with thyroid and PCOS. Protein sources like chicken, fish, or egg whites help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Whole grains: Grains like brown rice, barley, or sorghum help prevent sudden rises in blood sugar levels.
2. Lifestyle Changes
If you are a late-night person or love to munch every now and then, there is no physical routine. These habits will make your journey more challenging than you think. Do not panic; just make some simple lifestyle changes, and you will achieve the results.
- Be hydrated, and set an alarm to drink water.
- Avoiding junk food is a must while changing lifestyles, as they are part of inflammatory diseases and slow down the body’s healing process.
- A proper workout with a proper, timely diet helps not only in blood regulation but also keeps one mentally healthy.
- Take a minimum of 7 hours of rest.
- Try to complete 10,000 steps per day.
- Reduce stress; it is the cause of imbalance in women and will create issues during your weight loss journey.
3. Asanas To Enhance Weight Loss
Yoga can be done at home, helping to lose weight due to thyroid disease or PCOS. You can include a few or all asanas in your daily routine and see the transformation.
|Butterfly Pose (Baddha Konasana)||Improves fertility|
|Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)||Helps with weight management|
|Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)||Reduces menstrual irregularities|
|Balasana (Child’s Pose)||Promotes relaxation and reduces stress|
|Ustrasana (Camel Pose)||Aids hormonal balance|
|Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)||Reduces stress and regulates menstrual cycles|
|Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose)||Stimulates the ovaries|
Lifestyle and food always play important roles when it comes to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. Nowadays, we are dedicated to our work, but we should not forget ourselves.
It’s okay to steal some time for yourself. So, follow the routine and remember the 20-80 role. 20% exercise and 80% diet in your lifestyle is the answer to your question about how to lose weight with thyroid and PCOS.