The toenail fungus is a condition in which the toenails are infected by a mold called dermatophyte. It is referred to as onychomycosis in medical terms. This kind of infection is prominent in toenails rather than fingernails.
It makes your nails yellow and brittle along with that you can also observe significant changes in their shape. There are many renowned methods and treatments to kill toenail fungus. A famous method used for this condition is known as oxidative therapy which uses hydrogen peroxide to eradicate the fungus.
What Is Oxidative Therapy?
This commonly involves using substances like hydrogen peroxide and ozone to treat toenail fungus. These substances eliminate the fungus by damaging its cells and interfering with its metabolic activity. As the fungus does not have the defense mechanism to fight oxidative stress this method makes it more vulnerable and effectively removes it.
The Mechanism Of Oxidative Therapy
Oxidative therapy works by using molecules known as reactive oxygen species (ROS) to damage the fungal cells and weaken them. It breaks the outer layer of the fungus that is meant for its protection which makes it more fragile.
Eventually, it damages the essential parts of the fungus that is crucial for its functioning and this affects its ability to reproduce. With the mutation and damage to the DNA material, the fungus loses its natural defense mechanism leading to destruction.
- Targeted Approach: Oxidative therapy specifically focuses on eliminating toenail fungus and as a result proves to be more beneficial.
- Limited Side Effects: This therapy has fewer side effects when compared to other antifungal treatments. The chances of adverse reactions are minimal and is considered a safe approach.
- Non-Invasive: This treatment is non-invasive. It mostly involves topical applications and does not require aggressive procedures.
- Reduced treatment duration: Mostly this type of treatment requires less time for effective results rather than traditional methods.
- Variable Effectiveness: The effect of the treatment might vary from person to person and results will be dependent on a combination of factors. It is not possible to predict consistent results for everyone undergoing this treatment.
- Limited Research: Even though oxidative therapy has produced some promising results it is not conclusive. It is still evolving and more extensive research and studies are required to establish effectiveness in the long run.
- Healthy Tissue Damage: As the treatment uses certain oxidative agents like hydrogen peroxide there is a possibility of damage to healthy tissues. It is important to treat the fungus without damaging the skin and tissues surrounding the nails.
- Professional Assistance: Some professional assistance is required for effective oxidative therapy. For the treatment to be effective proper dosage and application are necessary which requires medical expertise.
- Resistance Development: Just like other treatments the possibility of resistance development exists in the case of oxidative therapy. The fungus might develop resistance to oxidative agents which will eventually reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Cost and accessibility: Some forms of therapy are not that affordable and accessible to everyone. Individuals who cannot afford the treatment have to opt for other methods.
Safety Rules To Follow
- Consult a healthcare professional: It is recommended to seek advice from a medical professional before starting any form of oxidative therapy. They will guide you in the right way by carefully assessing your condition and suggesting the right method.
- Dosage Regulation: The dosage must be regulated according to the instructions of the medical professional. Using excessive amounts might damage the healthy tissue surrounding the nails.
- Nail preparation: Preparing your nails for the treatment will ensure its effectiveness. Properly cleaning and trimming your nails allows the penetration of the product which produces maximum results.
- Monitor Constantly: While under treatment one should constantly monitor the condition of the nails and report the changes to avoid complications. Look for any adverse reactions or unusual changes and consult your physician immediately.
- Avoid self-diagnosis: Try to avoid self-diagnosis and treatment in case of toenail fungus. Attempting to treat the infection without proper medical guidance could worsen your condition.
- Patience: Just like any other treatment it is important to have patience to achieve desired results. Follow the dosage and instructions provided by your healthcare provider for evident changes. Try not to expect immediate changes overnight.
Application of hydrogen peroxide for toenail fungus will be effective under proper medical guidance and assistance. Approach the treatment only after consulting with your physician and realizing the positives and negatives. Even though there are studies that support the potential of oxidative therapy it is still evolving and extensive research is required to establish its effectiveness.