Obesity in both children and adults has been on the rise for decades and is now considered one of the most pressing public health issues worldwide. Owing to the risks of obesity, people have started to adopt healthy lifestyle habits, like the introduction of healthy, balanced diets and engaging in regular exercise or physical activities.
Such lifestyle changes have been proven to significantly help in maintaining weight and preventing the progression of obesity-related comorbidities.
Additionally, people also take advantage of the ingredients that are available in our kitchen, like ginger, cardamom, and black pepper, to lose weight. One such ingredient is cumin. This article will discuss the benefits of cumin and how it can help us lose weight.
What Is Cumin?
Cumin, also called jeera, is a spice used in cooking dishes all over the world. Cumin seeds are produced by the herb Cuminum cyminum, belonging to the parsley family. It enhances the flavor of the food, giving it an earthy flavor and a sweet aroma.
Cumin has been a part of our diet for a long time and is mainly manufactured in the Middle East, the Mediterranean, China, and India. Ancient Ayurvedic texts have documented the jeera’s health benefits and how it was used in traditional medicine to treat various diseases.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Cumin?
Cumin contains various essential nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, fiber, and carbohydrates. It is an excellent source of minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus, as well as vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6.
- Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties: Apart from the above-mentioned nutrients, cumin also contains thymoquinone, a chemical compound that has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The antioxidants help fight against free radicals and prevent cellular damage.
- Reduces risks of cancer: Several studies have proven that cumin seeds have anti-carcinogenic properties that can prevent the growth and spreading of different kinds of cancer, including those that develop in the liver, stomach, and colon.
- Improves heart health: Cumin can reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) levels and increase good cholesterol (HDL), thus preventing heart attacks and heart diseases.
- Antibacterial properties: Cumin can help us kill some bacteria that get into our body and make us sick, thereby increasing immunity.
- Fights anemia: We can prevent and treat anemia with cumin. Cumin is rich in iron, which is required for the formation of hemoglobin in the blood. Without hemoglobin, there will be less oxygen supply in our body, increasing the risk of developing many health diseases.
- Regulates blood sugar level: Cumin can help people manage the symptoms of diabetes. This is because jeera improves insulin sensitivity and prevents sudden spikes in blood sugar levels.
How Does Cumin Help With Weight Loss?
The following factors explain why cumin helps with weight management and weight loss:
- Low in calories: Cumin or jeera water contains very few calories compared to other beverages.
- Improves digestion: Studies have shown that cumin seeds can relieve several digestive problems like irritable bowel syndrome, which causes abdominal pain, bloating, and diarrhea.
- Increases metabolism: Cumin seeds can accelerate metabolism. It promotes thermogenesis, which facilitates the breakdown of fat stored in the body. The thymol, which is a chemical compound found in cumin seeds, stimulates gastric gland secretion, helps break down proteins, fat, and sugar, and keeps your gut healthy.
Cumin can help us lose weight by accelerating metabolism and digestion.
How To Use Cumin For Weight Loss?
The most common ways you can use cumin for weight reduction are:
- Cumin drink: Soak 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds in water for 5 to 6 hours or overnight, and then either have it as is or boil it. Honey or lemon can be added to enhance the taste. Drink it on an empty stomach every day for at least 2 weeks for visible results.
- Cumin supplements: Oral cumin supplements that contain ground cumin seeds or black cumin seed oil are available on the market. This can help you lose weight and stabilize your blood cholesterol and sugar levels.
- Cumin in the diet: Cumin seeds can be added to yogurt, curry, or salads, which can also be beneficial to fight digestive ailments and shed weight.
Cumin seeds are rich in nutrients and have several health benefits. Even though regular use of cumin seeds can help in losing weight, it alone can’t reduce weight. Therefore, it is wise to incorporate it with a healthy diet and regular exercise for the best results.