Every day, you are exposed to millions of outside germs and viruses, which can linger on your body and perhaps make you ill. Personal hygiene is a basic necessity that most people disregard.
Using showers, products, clothing, and other needs is a privilege that others are deprived of. They don’t know that good personal hygiene practices can significantly impact mental and physical health.
What Is Personal Hygiene?
Personal hygiene is the set of activities that protect one from transmitting infectious diseases and maintain physical, mental, and emotional well-being. It includes various daily routines, such as hand washing, bathing, oral care, hair care, nail trimming, and wearing clean clothes.
Complying with proper personal hygiene routines helps protect others and ourselves from sickness, enabling a safer and healthier environment.
Types Of Personal Hygiene
Personal hygiene includes several aspects of self-care and cleanliness, such as the following:
- Hand Hygiene: Hand washing is the most common and crucial personal hygiene practice. Constantly washing hands with an antibacterial liquid handwash for at least 20 seconds kills harmful bacteria and viruses and prevents the spread of illnesses.
- Oral Hygiene: Try to brush your teeth at least twice daily, floss constantly, and go to the dentist for regular check-ups. It helps to prevent dental issues such as cavities, gum diseases, and bad breath.
- Body Hygiene: Daily bathing cleans the body by removing sweat, dirt, and bacteria, including preventing body odor. Add some antiseptic liquid to the bathing water to refresh and get clean. Also, change clean clothes regularly so your body won’t contact germs.
- Hair Hygiene: Keep your hair clean by regularly washing and grooming it to prevent dandruff and nurture a healthy scalp.
- Nail Hygiene: Keep your nails short and clean to minimize the risk of dirt and germs getting trapped underneath, resulting in infections.
- Clothing and Laundry Hygiene: Wear clean clothes and wash them constantly with an antiseptic soap at the proper temperature to remove germs and maintain personal cleanliness.
- Respiratory Hygiene: Learn to cover your mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing to prevent the spread of respiratory droplets with pathogens.
- Intimate Hygiene: Clean intimate areas gently to prevent infections and be comfortable.
Why Are Good Hygiene Practices Important?
The following are reasons you should engage in good hygiene practices:
🔹 It Reduces The Spread Of Germs
Germs occur due to dirtiness, leading to more sickness. It can be in the form of not washing your hands after using the bathroom. Unfortunately, you’ll spread the germs to yourself and those around you with good hygiene and habits.
🔹 It Reduces Medical Expenses
When you practice bad personal hygiene, you will incur higher medical expenses. Did you know that tooth decay and gum disease can affect the heart? Researchers are finding a relationship between dental hygiene and heart disease. The more medical problems you incur, the higher your medical expenses will be. However, you can prevent this by practicing good hygiene.
🔹 It Boosts Your Self-Esteem
Both physically and mentally, being clean and well-groomed can enhance your mood, relationships with others, and self-esteem.
How To Create A Personal Hygiene Routine
Try these tips to boost your hygiene or help a child develop better habits:
💠 Set Reminders
If you forget to shower, wash your hair, trim your nails, or brush your teeth, try setting a reminder on your phone. It will remind you of the activity, and with time, you’ll start doing it yourself.
💠 Use Signs
Hang a sign in the bathroom to wash your hands after using the toilet, as well as on the plates or bowls in the kitchen to remind yourself to wash your hands before eating. These signs remind and enhance your habits, which can benefit you and your children.
💠 Keep Practicing
You cannot learn a new habit in a day. Start with a new good hygiene habit at the start of the week and continue for a week or two. Once you’re used to it, add a new one. With time, these good hygiene habits will become part of you.
Good personal hygiene involves caring for your body to prevent diseases and illness. There are various ways to go about it if you want to enjoy its benefits.